- Who was John Dewey?
- What does Educational Progressivism means?
- What is the purpose of education?
(0ctober 20, 1859 – June 1, 1952)
- American philosopher, psychologist and educational reformer
- Founder of philosophical school of Pragmatism
- Father of Functional Psychology
- Educational Progressivism
- The main principle of educational progressivism is that humans are social animals who learn best in real-time activities.
- Instructors should focus on providing students with the necessary skills and knowledge to survive and to succeed in our competitive society.
- Strong emphasis on problem-based learning to develop problem solving and analysis skills (For example, instructor posing questions the exercise students’ minds in a practical manner)
Based on John Dewey's model of learning instructors should:
- Become aware of the goal,
- Define the objectives,
- Propose hypotheses to achieve the goal,
- Evaluate the consequences of the hypotheses from one's past experience, and
- Test the most likely solution.